...inspired by the many cultures and cuisines around the world

Wednesday 31 August 2016

POOR MANS SUSHI


An ab fab friend of mine who I have known since kindergarten introduced this to me several years ago (Linda you know who you are x) and it became an absolute favourite of my daughters and I. Don't know why it is called Poor Mans Sushi, but we just call it PMS! 
Luckily for me the night I made it recently, the Greek guy a. is off carbs, so no rice, b. hates raw fish, avocado and soy sauce...so I got to enjoy it all to myself with loads of leftovers for lunch the next day. (he had a pork chop and salad night - no surprises there)

Cook 1 cup sushi rice in the microwave with 1 ¾ cup cold water – cook on high for 10 minutes, stir about half way through.
Once it’s cooked, stir in about 5 - 6 tblspns of sushi vinegar and mix well. Leave to cool slightly. This amount of rice is enough to cover 3 sheets of nori.

Choose to use what you like from the following


finely sliced fresh salmon or tuna
smoked salmon
tinned tuna 
shredded cooked chicken mixed with a little teriyaki sauce
slices of avocado
thinly sliced red capsicum
• thinly sliced Lebanese cucumber (or telegraph)
thinly sliced sticks of carrot
sushi mayonnaise (to die for)
pickled ginger

nori (seaweed sheets)
soy sauce
wasabi

To assemble, place a third of the warm rice onto one seaweed sheet and spread it out with the back of a spoon. Place your fish or chicken in a line about one third of the way up the sheet, top with any of the vegetables, then a generous amount of the mayo. Roll up as firmly as you can, cut in half or smaller if you like, dip in sauces and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog !

Printfriendly